Tim Waggoner joins BJ in this episode as I was in Costa Rica at the time of its recording. Tim or “Lucho,” as he’s better known from the Endurance Planet podcast, has a wealth of experience and insight around endurance sports. He always thinks outside the box, and at the age of 50, he is crushing miles and speedy track intervals.
We met Tim in 2007 when we sat next to him on an airplane, heading back to Denver following Ironman Arizona – Tim’s last pro-race. During that flight, BJ and Tim joined in a conversation that filled the entire flight time and shifted BJ’s mindset moving forward. Tim eventually became BJ’s coach and remains a mentor for him as he continues to uplevel his game in endurance sports.
BJ and Tim recently reconnected in person as they shared the Ironman St. George course last month. Tim’s first Ironman in 15 years, a special moment between long-time friends and one that BJ wanted to capture for our listeners. We hope you enjoy this conversation.
In this episode, we discuss.
- did Tim find his “why” on race day?
- pressure to have to do something
- being fit and strong at 50
- carousel of baggage
- expectations and the meaning we give it
- what it takes to qualify for Kona
- key recipe to attain: easy and fast
- new outlook and appreciation on 12+ hour finishers
- be open to the light, the higher power
- willingness to open your mind
- living in the box
- what is your purpose
- belief in signs
Podcast Production: Bares Records
Episode 317 Show Notes:
Tim’s Blog – Joghard
Tim Waggoner – Instagram
Endurance Planet podcast
YTP episode 66 with Tim Waggoner
Looking to transition to a plant-based diet? Raise the Vibe on Your Plate