“I had the most rejuvenating experience at the yoga retreat! Surrounded by serene nature, guided by Jess, and being immersed in mindful practice has left me transformed. I am grateful that I said “yes” and I will never doubt my intuition again because this trip was worth every minute and every penny!” – MJ
Mediterranean Bliss: Sicily Yoga Adventure
September 28 – October 5, 2024
What You’ll Experience In Sicily
A Mediterranean gem, Sicily is known for its serene beaches, charming villages, amazing ancient ruins, and delicious cuisine. Get your yoga and walking shoes on so you can “mangia, mangia!” throughout the week. On this yoga retreat in Sicily, you’ll explore Europe’s largest active volcano, sip some volcanic vino, wander seaside villages, visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites (yes, that’s plural), admire the spectacular and ancient architecture and bathe in the Italian sunshine and sea. Get lost among endearing ancient alleyways, explore piazzas (in palazzos), and enjoy a sunkissed adventure in Italy.
How You’ll Experience Sicily
Start your yoga retreat in Sicily in Castiglione di Sicilia, on the north side of dominating Mount Etna. Hike the hillsides of Mount Etna, bask in the panoramic views of the Sicilian countryside, and sip the nectar of the unique volcanic soil (ie, delicious local wines). You’ll visit Castelmola, known as one of the most beautiful villages in Sicily, and explore the Norman ruins overlooking the Ionian Sea. Revel in ancient Greek ruins and classic Renaissance and Baroque architecture on Ortigia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Wander the local food market and savor unforgettable Sicilian food and wines. Immerse in Ragusa and Noto’s (another UNESCO World Heritage Site) ancient architecture—from the Palazzo Comunale to the breathtaking Duomo di San Nicolò – catacombs, spellbinding stairs and piazzas. Try a cuoppo (trust
us) and your own hand at focaccia. At ‘home’ in Modica you’ll learn about the ancient chocolate-making tradition and get hands-on with a professional maître chocolatier (yum). Experiment with Sicilian herbs and spices (coupled with local aperitivos) as you taste, laugh and immerse your way around this enchanting island.
How You’ll Feel When You Return Home
You’ll return home from this yoga retreat in Sicily sun-kissed and blissed out. You’ll research limoncello recipes (in pursuit of the perfect aperitivo), dream of piazzas and vividly recall the sensation of Sicilian sand on your bare feet. Warmed by delicious wine and Sicilian smiles, you’ll forever ruminate on creating your very own “Under the Sicilian Sun” move across the pond.
Who is this retreat for?
Yoga retreat adventures are expertly curated adventure travel experiences grounded in daily yoga practice. It is the perfect retreat for those who desire to stay active, explore new land, be immersed in local culture, and spend a little time on the mat to keep fit and soak it all in.
This trip is brought to you in partnership with an expert travel company called The Travel Yogi, the first company to blend yoga and wellness with first-class adventure travel. They set the bar for what true wellness adventures should be. Jess, with her adventurous yet grounded spirit, is the perfect teacher to lead these adventures.
Come with a curious and open heart and trust that The Travel Yogi will take care of all the details. Leave inspired and rested, with a new-found appreciation for life and memories that will last a lifetime.
- Three nights exclusive stay in Castiglione di Sicilia region
- Four nights in stunning Modica
- Breakfast each morning at our hotels
- Some lunches including local eateries and restaurants
- All dinners in a local restaurant or at our hotels
- Multiple wine-pairing and tasting options
- Morning and evening yoga on most days (please see the full itinerary for yoga schedule)
- Street-food experiences in Ortigia and Noto
- Hiking day by foot and 4×4 on Mt Etna
- Local cooking class and dinner near Ragusa
- Maître chocolatier taught hands-on chocolate course
- Afternoon on a local, and official, aromatic and herb farm
- Private transfers and transportation throughout the week
- Expert local English speaking guides
- All entry fees for the above sights and additional activities as listed on the itinerary
What’s Not Included
- International flights in and out of Catania (CTA)
- Four lunches
- Any video or still camera fees assessed by the monuments or places of interest
- Alcohol, in excess of a glass of wine, sodas or other specialty drinks at meals
- Items of a personal nature (phone calls, souvenirs, spa services, etc)
- Travel Insurance (strongly recommended)
- Fly into Catania (CTA) and get ready for adventure on your yoga retreat in Sicily
- Our guide will meet you at the airport and escort you to our first hotel just north of Mt Etna
- Opening airplane-twist-it-out yoga class
- Welcome dinner and your first taste of local Sicilian deliciousness
- Benvenuti in Sicilia!
- Wake up refreshed, hit the mat and a fill-up breakfast
- Journey up the side of Europe’s largest volcano by 4×4 and leg power… get your hike on
- Charge your cameras and capture the stunning views of Sicily from the heights of Mt Etna
- Enjoy a mid afternoon post-hike lunch at the base of Mt Etna
- Taste, and learn, about the richness of Sicilian wine at a local winery
- Head back to the hotel for evening yoga for hike-weary legs before dinner
- Morning yoga followed by a leisurely breakfast
- Gear up for a day of classic wanderings
- Castelmola is stunning and classified as one of the most beautiful villages in Sicily
- Perched on a hillside over the Ionian Sea, wander Taormina and the ancient Greek theater of Teatro Greco
- After a guided tour, explore Taormina’s streets and restaurants at your leisure
- As the sun goes down head back ‘home’ for evening yoga
- Enjoy dinner under the stars
- An early morning for breakfast and packing (no morning yoga today)
- With bags packed it’s time to head south
- Wander down the winding streets of Ortigia and take in the stunning Baroque and Renaissance beauties surrounding you
- Stroll backwards through time and explore the 6th century BCE Temple of Apollo
- Take in the sights and smells of the food market and stop for lunch with the locals
- Say goodbye to Ortigia and continue south to Modica
- Check-in and get ready for early evening yoga
- Head to the restaurant for a dinner of southern Sicilian delights
- Rise and shine yoga and breakfast
- Get your thinking caps on as you take an archeological tour of Ragusa
- Wander the Hyblaean Mountains’ secrets and wonders
- Visit the Grotta of Trabacche, the Catacombs of Cava Celone and the Hypogeum of Cisternazzi
- Enjoy some free time to explore Ragusa and the lunch spot of your choice
- Head to an ancient water mill in the afternoon
- After listening to the stories of the millers and their families, get your hands-on the local organic flour and make your own Focaccia deliciousness
- Dine on your creations at the mill with the families
- Morning yoga and sustaining breakfast
- Noto, the jewel of the Val di Noto, awaits
- Marvel at the Duomo di San Nicolo, and the gorgeous stairs just below, as well as the Palazzo Vescovile, Palazzo Comunale and the Baroque Church of the Holy Savior
- As you stroll through the day you’ll be treated to the gastronomical delights of Noto including cuoppo, the famous Arancina and an unmissable cannolo
- After some free time to explore Noto, journey to Modica
- Another tasty treat this afternoon as you learn about Modica’s famous chocolate history
- Get hands-on as you put your knowledge of Modica’s ancient chocolate-making to the test under the watchful eye of a professional maître chocolatier
- Evening outdoor yoga (weather dependent) at the hotel
- Group dinner, if you’ve got any tummy space left, at the hotel
- Morning yoga and breakfast
- Spend your morning at your leisure
- Relax poolside, book a massage, head back into Modica, or catch a 15-minute ride to the coast.
- Return to the hotel early afternoon for a closing yoga class
- Journey to a local farm that produces officinal and aromatic herbs
- Experience the history and pride behind the olfactory tradition
- Head out to a local restaurant for a closing dinner among the locals
- Rise and shine for breakfast and to pack
- Transfer from the south of Sicily back to Catania airport for departure and a goodbye to gorgeous Sicily
Now For A Glimpse Into Your Sicily Accommodations
Enveloped in over a hundred hectares of olive, citrus and vineyards sits our northern Sicily home. The renovated vineyard home boasts modern amenities and classic charm. Each room has its own unique views on this beautiful vineyard. Enjoy the pool and vineyards you walk through each day, the AC and/or heat, along with stunning Sicilian cuisine, to make this a hideaway you’ll want to return to.
Historic and modern comfort and blend into a luxury welcome in the south of Sicily. Revel in the renovated and rejuvenated medieval fortress and the beauty of Modica. Enjoy ancient catacombs and beautiful villages while you make use of the pool and spa or spend your free-time exploring Noto, Modica or the beach, each just a short walk or drive away.
Italy is a bucket list trip for many, so why not go right into the heart of this cultural mecca and emerge sun-kissed?